Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring has Sprung - well almost!

Traditionally the first day of Spring starts on the night of 20th/21st March, despite the fact that many will try to convince you that it really commences on March 1st. Right now, as I write this post, it's almost 7.00 am, and cold. It doesn't feel too much like Spring, but that's probably because we have an idealised view of what we expect Spring to feel like. As in so many other instances, we expect Spring to feel like we want it to, rather than as it is.

Now yesterday was different altogether, because it was sunny and reasonably warm, and felt exactly like we think a Spring day should be like.

I wonder what you think about dear reader, when you think of Spring? One of the things that nearly always (well, OK! always) comes to mind for me is a little rhyme that I remember from childhood. It was one of Jimmy 'Schnozzle' Durante's,and it goes like this:

Spring has sprung,
the grass has riz,
I wonder where the boidies is.
The boids is on the wing ---
but that's absoid ---
I always thought
the wings was on de boid!

I moved to my current location ten years ago from Wales, which is a land of culture, magnificent singing, rugby, nationalistic fervour, and sheep. When I say that there are sheep in Wales, I don't mean that there are a few, or even quite a few. It's estimated that the sheep population far exceeds the human one. Of course, where there are sheep it means that there are lambs, and what better sign of Spring than lambs in the fields, frolicking about as though they had springs inbuilt into their legs.

One of the highlights of Springtime for me when I worked at Lake Vyrnwy about 20 years ago as a candle maker, was driving to work through the Dyfnant Forest in the early morning, the early-morning mist often hanging in the trees, and seeing the banks of primroses and the other Spring flowers along the roadside. It never failed to speak to me of the perpetuation of life, for I would ponder so often on the fact that there were flowers there long before I existed, and that they would still be there long after I've ceased to exist, at least, ceased to exist in this life.

Thinking about all of this brings me to thoughts of life's ever-turning cycle. Things grow from seed, bloom for their allotted span and then die, only to be resurrected the in following due season, fresh and new. Roadside flowers that had been spotted and stained by passing traffic, or damaged by insects, are reborn, pristine and excitingly new.

People are like this as well, aren't they. The Easter story of Christ's death and resurrection, of His victory over sin and the grave, reminds me that we too come from a tiny seed. We grow and bloom for our allotted span and then we die. Because of Christ's victory at Calvary we have the opportunity to live again, to be resurrected to a pristine and exciting new life. We don't know the way it will be, but one thing is certain. It will be glorious! All that's asked of us is that we acknowledge Him and give our lives to Him, living life the way that He leads us.

Ah, Easter! What a wonderful time in the Christian calendar it is, for it's the time of the year when, more than any other, we think of the sacrifice that was made for us because God --- our God --- loves us so much!

Tomorrow is Good Friday. Tomorrow we will think of the pain and the suffering, the tears and the crying. But tomorrow will pass and then we will come on Sunday to a time of immense joy as we celebrate the Risen Christ and all that His victory means for those who choose to follow Him. I can't think of a better fanfare for Spring, can you?

Every blessing to you, dear reader, over this Easter period. May it be a time of new life and renewal for you and yours.

No comments: