Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, 2009

Did you wait up to welcome in the New Year, dear reader? I did, although I have to admit that I went to bed very soon afterwards. The streets around my home were pretty devoid of life, most probably because it was so-o-o-o-o ccccold! Usually several of my neighbours are at their open doors to greet each other at New Year, but not last night, although I'm sure that the thoughts remained the same.

Many years ago, when I lived in Africa, I went to a New Year's Eve party and stayed up the whole night through. We enjoyed a champagne breakfast the following morning, --- great if you like champagne, which I don't --- which rounded off the celebrations. It was a great start to the year, although I have to admit that I would not be quite so perky in the morning these days if I'd been up all night!

As I lay in bed this morning I was thinking about what this new year might bring for me. I feel very positive about it, that's for sure. My first thought is that it's another wonderful gift from God that will allow me to serve Him both in new ways and in the ways in which I already serve Him. Also this year, finally after almost five years of procrastination and trauma, the developers are due to start work on the church of which I am Minister. The Sanctuary had to be closed off several years ago because there was a danger of the ceiling falling in, since when part of it has done so. The work due to commence will see a complete refurbishment of the interior as well as completing work on the roof that will make the building last for the foreseeable future.

It is my prayer that as well as seeing the building strengthened we will see the church itself strengthened, not only by the addition of new members but also in the commitment of those who already belong. As in all churches, and indeed most organisations, most of the work is done by the minority. If everyone worked together to the same extent as the minority what a difference it would make. Burdens would become challenges, and the challenges would be opportunities.

I move into 2009 with great hope regarding my song-writing too. My songwriting partner, Greg Scheer, and I myself, firmly believe that we are on the edge of scoring a hit with one of our songs. Only time will tell, but I do believe that 2009 will be a great year for us. Shortly I will be getting together with our newest singer, Lisa Winwood, to discuss the songs that she will record for her first CD with Sheer Joy Music later in the year. She is a great singer and I think that she'll bring both us and her success in the business. Also on the music front, we are moving closer to recording Charlotte Kerce in Tallahassee. Charlotte is to record sixteen of my hymns, eight of which are co-written with Greg and eight which have well-known tunes with new arrangements by Sarah Atter. Charlotte has a wonderful rich alto voice, and I cannot wait to hear the finished result which is due for release towards the Autumn. Two other new singers will be recording my work this year as well: Alan Watson, who will be recording a CD of my worship songs and also a CD of secular songs, and a young 15 year old soprano, Charlotte Dacia, who will release a Cd of my Advent songs and Carols in time for Christmas. All in all a very exciting year musically speaking. God has so blessed this part of my work, bringing together some fantastically talented people who make up the Sheer Joy Music team. What a blessing!

At the beginning of April, I will be part of a Revival Mission team at a Revival Conference to be held at Moriah Chapel in Loughor, South Wales, which is where the 1904 Welsh Revival broke out under the ministry of Evan Roberts. The latest issue of The Voice Christian News & Views magazine has an article on Evan Roberts and several photos taken at Moriah Chapel when I visited there with Andrew Strom last year. The conference is being organised by Andrew Strom ministries in conjunction with myself, and David Servant of Heaven's family is expected to be one of the speakers. It should be an exciting week which I hope will be blessed by much fruit. Please hold the conference up in your prayers and seek the Lord's blessing on all those involved in presenting the conference plus those whom the Holy Spirit will draw to attend. It is anticipated that people will travel great distances to be there. I will post more details as they come to hand.

All in all an exciting year ahead working for the benefit of God's kingdom. Nationally we need to be very aware of situations that so many people may find themselves in as the economic recession bites even harder. I believe that the current government policies of attempting to spend the way out of recession are completely wrong. You do not deal with austerity by pretending to be rich! One of the prime causes of the economic problems is that for far too long people have been actively encouraged to live far beyond their means. In fact, not to do so has been portrayed as being against the interests of the nation in general. Only a few days ago I read in the Press that the Chancellor was dismayed that people were saving rather than spending. When you consider that this statement was made by the man in charge of the nation's finances it does little to bolster belief in the government!

Whatever 2009 brings I'm sure that there will be many opportunities for the Christian community to be strengthened if only they will take to their knees and pray. What is needed is wholesale repentance and a renewal of commitment. That's what will bring about the change that is needed in our lives. For too long people have been satisfied to be labelled Christian as long as it didn't mean any change to their chosen life-style, yet the point is that truly being a Christian changes the life-style to one in which God, and not self, comes first.

Whatever the year brings for you, dear reader, I pray that it will be a time of blessing in your life and also in the lives of those whom you love.