Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 10, 2008

A GREAT Evening!

Yesterday evening the singers from LYRA gave their concert at the church, performing to an almost full house. This was the fourth year running that we have hosted a concert by singers from the 25-strong Russian group, all professional singers who come from St Petersburg. The first half of the programme was filled by a series of Russian Sacred Music and Chants, but also included were a couple of pieces by the English composer George Frederick Handel. For the second half of the programme the singers changed into their colourful national costumes and sang their way through a series of Folk songs from Russia and the Ukraine. They also included a piece from the CD that they had recently recorded of my work, entitled There is Joy, and there certainly was joy in my heart to hear this work sung so beautifully in live performance.

One bonus for me is that Andrey Sysoev, the group's leader, has agreed to compose some music for a selection of my hymn texts to be set to. Over the past four years Andrey and I have struck up a good friendship, and so, following on from the CD recently released, this will further cement the relationship.

One of the exciting things that has happened to me over the past few years as a result of the blessing that God has given to me as a hymn-writer and song-writer is that I have met, either literally or virtually, several highly talented people who have added their talents to mine, and the result has been to breathe life into my work. How thankful I am for all of the people whom God has linked me to! I pray that through it all He will be glorified and praised constantly!

No comments: