Total Pageviews

Friday, September 19, 2008

Out of Body Experiences


A new study into the phenomenon known as 'Out of body' experiences is set to take place with a body of scientists examining the experiences of 1,500 hospital patients to see whether they can prove or disprove the phenomena. The investigation will take three years, and the study, led by Dr Sam Parnia, will take place at the University of Southampton, here in England.

Reading about this in today's Press, I was reminded of an occasion back in he 1960's (I think it was 1968), when I had one of these experiences myself. I was spending the evening at a friends house in Warminster, Wiltshire, when I was taken ill with a recurrence of a blood-sugar problem, my blood sugar having dropped down to a dangerously low level. My friend rushed me to the local hospital where I was admitted in a comatose state. Thanks to the ministrations of the medical staff I was given the appropriate medication and gradually brought back out of my coma. I remember little of what happened as, feeling completely exhausted by the experience, I slept soundly until the next morning.

The following morning, with a clear head, I recalled the previous night's experience, and recalled a sensation of having watched all that had gone on from the upper corner of the room. Speaking to one of the nursing staff I enquired about a particular doctor who had attended me, only to be told that he was not in that morning. The nurse added that she was surprised that I should ask because that doctor had only seen me for a brief time and that I was completely comatose during the period. I then went on to tell her about the other people whom I had seen the previous evening, all during the time that I was comatose.

Who knows where the answer lies? I certainly don't! I had never been to that hospital previously so I can discount anay thought of having memories regarding the people whom I described and, even if that were the case, how did I manage to describe accurately almost every person who had attended me that evening?

Perhaps this new study will reveal the answers to this phenomenon. Perhaps not. But it will certainly be an interesting study to follow.

Have you, dear reader, had any such experience in the past? dd a comment and share it if you have.

No comments: