Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Special Missionaries

From time to time I like to share the devotions which I receive every day from by Joanne Lowe who is blessed with this ministry. So today I'm privileged to share the latest with you, dear reader. I hope it strikes a cord with you as it does with me. If you qould like to receive Joanne's devotions every day then just email her with the word 'SUBSCRIBE' and your FULL NAME typed into the body of the email.

SPECIAL MISSIONARIES

“And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.”
Mark 10: 13 - 16 (King James Version)

One of the definitions in Webster’s Dictionary for missionaries is “a body of persons sent to perform a service or carry on an activity”. Every time I see children who are handicapped in any way, I know that I am seeing special missionaries. It is true that when we have a special needs child, there are a lot more challenges we have when we raise them. However, the joy they bring to our hearts far outweighs the challenges we face.

There is a lady who is a very close and dear friend of mine that I have known since I was a teenager. One day my friend called me and she was crying. She said as she was sobbing brokenheartedly “Joanne, our doctor just told my husband and me that our son is retarded and we are devastated and heartbroken”. About three years later, I talked to her again and she was very excited.

She said “Our son just started work and he has learned to read and write. However, the most important thing that has happened to us since our son was born is that my husband and I are closer and we have started going to church again. Our son has brought love, joy and happiness into our home”. If you have a special needs child, pray and give God thanks that He trusted you enough to give you this child.

Thank You, Heavenly Father, for sending us these children as Your special missionaries to brighten our lives and to bring love, joy and laughter into our homes and also to our hearts. May we as adults become as these precious little missionaries and spread the unconditional love of Jesus to everyone we meet so that people will have Your joy and Your peace in their homes and in their hearts. Amen.

No comments: