Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Caught Out with a Chocolate Smile!


Chatting to someone tonight about favourite foods took me a long way back down Memory Lane to a time when I was at Malmesbury Grammar School in Wiltshire, (UK). We had really excellent school dinners and there were many firm favourites on the menus, but the one that I, and almost everyone else, loved best of all was Crispy Chocolate Flapjacks, served with lashings of chocolate sauce, more or less like chocolate custard. It was absolute heaven!

I very quickly made friends with the cooks when I started at the school, and when this particular pudding was on the menu they would put some in a glass pudding bowl and keep it to one side for me. As soon as the dinners were over, I would creep into the kitchens and scoff this extra pudding with the maximum enjoyment. In order to stay away from the prying eyes of either prefects or teachers, or even just those who might well be jealous, I was hidden in a cupboard at the rear of the kitchens. I enjoyed everything about it! Not only the pudding but also the cloak and dagger secrecy!

However, all good things have to come to an end, and my extra portion of chocolate pudding was no exception to the rule. One day, just as I well hidden from view in the cupboard, and tucking into my illicit pudding, the door was suddenly thrown open. CAUGHT! Oh dear me, what a fuss it all caused, not least of all for the cooks. From then on the kitchen was out of bounds to all school children, especially me. I have to say though, in retrospect, that I'd risk it all again for another bowl of that wonderful, delicious, heavenly pudding!

No comments: