Total Pageviews

Monday, August 26, 2013

The Season of Mists & Mellow Fruitfulness

     In a few days time it will be September, the Season of mist and mellow fruitfulness. It's a time of the year that I really love for its colours and always the promise of something special. I recall many happy times in the past when I have been out in the early morning, walking over fields heavy with dew, mist clinging to me making my clothes damp, the early morning sun pale through it all, as I picked mushrooms to take home for my breakfast. Of course, there were forays into the countryside later in the day too, once the sun was properly up, as I searched, paper-bag or plastic container in hand, for the best blackberries that the hedgerow could yield. How delicious they would be mixed with apples from the tree in the garden and cooked in a pie, the golden pastry beckoning you to have another slice.
     Afternoon walks in the Autumn air would yield a treat of another kind, for scuffing through the woodland walks we would chance upon a Hazel tree laden with nuts. There was always enough to share with the squirrels!
     Autumnal sunsets have a beauty all of their own too, with the golds, reds and russets of the trees and hedgerows reflected in the sunset.
     How much there is to be grateful for! All of this beauty to enjoy and never the need to buy a ticket to go and see it!


No comments: