Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Great Quotes of Matthew Henry

Matthew Henry


     Many years ago, Matthew Henry (1662-1714), the noted English Non-conformist Bible commentator, was once robbed of his wallet. Knowing that it was his duty to give thanks in everything, he meditated on this incident and recorded in his diary the following:
      "Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before; second, because although he took my purse, he did not take my life; third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed."


"Whatever we have of this world in our hands, our care must be to keep it out of our hearts, lest we let it come between us and Christ."


"There are none so deaf as those who will not hear."


"No attribute of God is more dreadful to sinners than His holiness."


"Goodness makes greatness truly valuable, and greatness makes goodness much more serviceable."


"The way to preserve the peace of the church is to preserve its purity."


"It is good to keep some account of our prayers that we may not unsay them in our practice."

No comments: