Total Pageviews

Friday, October 10, 2008

A Trusty Anchor in a Safe Harbour


I thought today that I would share the meditation that I received from my friend Joanne Lowe this morning. You can read more of her writings by visiting the link at the bottom of this post, or email her an encouraging word if you like. I look forward to getting a new meditation every day from her. It helps to minister to me. Sometimes people forget that Ministers and Pastors need ministering to just as much as anyone else.


THE ANCHOR OF OUR HEARTS

“Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.”
Hebrews 6: 19, 20 - King James Version

Webster’s Dictionary has a lot of different meanings for the word “anchor”. The definition that stood out to me and the one that I like best of all reminds me of our precious Saviour. The definition is 'to secure firmly: '. When Jesus anchors our hearts in His unconditional love, it is anchored even firmer than concrete.

Our precious Saviour secures our hearts firmly by His cleansing atoning blood that He shed for us on the cross of Calvary. Once His blood has been applied to our hearts for the forgiveness of our sins, we are His for all eternity and nobody and nothing can pry us from Him.

We read in the Bible “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one” (John 10: 27 - 30).

Jesus is not only the anchor of our hearts; He is also our firm foundation. One day, our merciful and loving Heavenly Father opened His heart of unconditional love and compassion to us and sent His beloved Son into the world to bear the penalty for our sins. Jesus paid the debt that we could never pay. The debt was not His. Jesus had never sinned; had never done anything wrong, not one time.

Yet Jesus willingly walked that long lonely road to Calvary and there shed His precious blood for our salvation. He could have come down from the cross if He had wanted to but He stayed on that cross of horror because He loves us so much. He suffered an excruciating pain that we will never be able to fully comprehend with our human minds. We only have just a fingernail’s understanding of how much pain and agony that He suffered for us. What a Saviour, this Jesus of Nazareth! Have you allowed Jesus to anchor your heart with His cleansing atoning blood for the forgiveness of your sins?

No comments: