Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian


Every now and then I stumble across a book which my gut feeling tells me that I'll enjoy, even though, at first glance, it would be easy to pass it by. A week ago I found such a book idly propped against one end of a shelf in my local library, looking for all the world as though it had been picked up and discarded a hundred times. Certainly the cover never gave a lot away, at least, not until you read the odd comments on it that read: 'Extremely Funny' The Times; 'Outstanding' Daily Mail; and 'Mad and hilarious' Daily Telegraph. Definitely this was a book that simply begged me to investigate further!

The outcome was that I took the book home and started to read, discovering that, as countless people must have surely done before me, it was a book that did not want to be put down. Whilst I love reading, my work does not allow me constant free time to devote to it, and so my reading time is usually last thing at night. In the case of this book it's true to say that I devoured its content at every opportunity, finishing it in about five days, a record for me these days.

Shortlisted for the Orange Prize, winner of the 'SAGA Award for Wit' in 2005, and longlisted for the 2005 Booker Prize, Marina Lewycka's attention to detail as her story unfolds is amazing. It's obvious that she has been blessed with the ability to incorporate personal recollection, whether of her own or of a family member, together with excellent research into her subject.

Despite the title, this is not an agricultural history, nor, despite the inclusion of so much 'tractorial' detail, is it a story about tractors, in Ukraine or anywhere else. That's simply the thread that draws the reader through the story of an old man and his young bride-of-convenience.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone who enjoys a gripping tale which pulsates with humour. Reviews for it contain words such as 'splendid', 'remarkable', 'amazing', 'hilarious', and 'extraordinary'. I find it difficult to add any superlative that betters what has already been said. All I can do is recommend that you discover it all for yourself at the earliest opportunity.

Published by Penguin, the ISBN number is 9 780141 020525.

No comments: