Total Pageviews

Monday, October 22, 2007

Every Day is a Good Day!


It's a grey Monday morning as I write my blog entry today, although the weather forecasters say that we might get a little sunshine later on in the day. Actually, I don't mind, because I find that every day can be a good day if you determine that it will be. Ok, so there may be some things in it that you don't really like, even things that seem like problems, but the answer is to approach every so-called problem as a challenge. That way, you can find something good in every situation.

One of the things that saddens me is when I see the way that some people seem to begin to 'wind down' as they get older, amost as if they are sitting back and waiting for the inevitable to catch up with them. What a waste of the days that they have been blessed with! I think that as I get older the difference it makes to me primarily, is that I'm more conscious that the time that i have left to achieve all that I aspire to is diminishing, yet the intent is increasing at a camparable speed. Certainly, when God is ready to take me home then I will go willingly, but not a moment sooner than I need to go. There is, after all, so much to still be done. There's places that i want to visit, and people that I want to meet up with, and so much to achieve to complete my work --- that's if one can ever truly complete the tasks allotted. In my experience the goalposts seem to continually be expanding as the months and years go by. New technology means that we have a greater means of achieving things which were, just a few years ago, out of reach for the average person.

Who could have imagined that they would be able to write in the form of a blog even ten years ago? Many older people have an innate fear of computer technology, and yet the opportunities that have been opened as a result of it are endless.

No, I shall enjoy every moment of my life in the time that i have left, and fill it with challenges and opportunities to serve God in the name of Christ.

I love this poem by Dylan Thomas which I share with you here:

Do not go gentle into that good night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their fragile deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the l.ight.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage aginst the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Copyright: The Trustees of the copyrights of the late Dylan Thomas

No comments: