Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

WWIDFJT

We live in a world that surrounds us with initials rather than full words. Companies proudly display their names such as M & S, JJB, BP, and such is the power of advertising that the majority of people will know what the letters stand for. Some time ago it became fashionable for many Christians to wear a wristband with the letters WWJD, standing for 'What Would Jesus Do?'

What's all this about then? Well, I thought that we might adopt the set of letters WWIDFJT today. It stands for What Will I Do For Jesus Today.

So often our days become so busy with the general 'busy-ness' of the moment that when we later reflect on our day we have probably achieved little in kingdom terms.

Here's a little story that illustrates the point:

A few years ago I was walking through a shopping precinct in one of our large towns when I noticed a man dressed somewhat like a vagrant. He was being avoided by so many people as he walked by them. I felt that I should do something for him and so I approached him with a folded £5 note clutched in my hand. "Excuse me", I said to him. He turned to look at me. "You dropped this." I said to him, offering the money to him. "No I never", he replied. I argued with him for a moment and then he fixed me with a stare and said, "Don't you think that I would know if I'd had that money? Do I look stupid as well as everything else?" I apologised for the hamfisted manner in which I'd tried to help him, but he brushed my words aside with a curt dismissal. I was upset that my attempts to help had been spurned, yet when I thought about it afterwards I realised that I was making the move to help without any spiritual prompting. In a way I was doing it more to make me feel better than to give him the benefit.

Since that hard-learned lesson I'm much more careful to ensure that what I do is in line with the reasoning and manner of the way which Jesus demonstrated. That way I can be sure that I'm doing things for Him rather than for me, and that's what matters in the end. We need to make our actions of kingdom benefit, and ensuring that Jesus Christ is at the very centre of all that we do and say is one way to ensure that they will be.

1 comment:

koinonia community said...

We had a teen speak before a group of our youth. She told of all the things we know Christ did for us. She spoke about speaking with him in Heaven.....and Him asking what she had done for him. She wanted to have so much to tell Jesus that they would have to pull up a couple of chairs and sit and chat.

How right you are though that in our zeal to serve, we sometimes forget to consult Him to find out what He would have us do.