Total Pageviews

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Last Word

Here I am, back from a busy weekend with lots of travelling involved, thankful for journeys completed safely, and with YOU, dear reader, on my mind. 'What can I serve you up today', I thought. After all, today is reputed to be the most dismal Monday of the year, so I thought that something to smile about would be a good start to my journey this week. I found the following, headed 'The Top 10 ‘Last Words in Your Church’, from a submission to Leadership magazine.

Sometimes words have to be eaten. Other times, they turn out to have teeth that bite. From an unscientific sampling of a few contributing editors, Leadership offers here the most frequent phrases in ministry that become preludes to a fast farewell.
1. I think I've earned the right to say this.
2. Thank you for the unanimous vote of confidence.
3.
We'll incorporate a seeker sensitive approach into our present worship service.
4. In ancient Israel, the people danced before the Lord.
5. Recently, I've been reading about the importance of publicly confessing your own sins, so today …
6. I'll show the church secretary who's boss around here!
7.
I'm sure I can trust you to keep this confidential.
8. Then there are no hard feelings, right?
9. I'm sure Mrs. Jones will agree that she's been our organist long enough.
10.
They need to realize this kitchen belongs to everyone.
— Ken Westphall, Leadership, Vol. 14, no. 2.

No comments: