Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The path to Heaven

Recently, following a morning service as the visiting minister, a member of the congregation commented that, "after hearing your message this morning, you are obviously someone who believes what the Bible says." It was not said as a compliment, more of an observation. This gentleman's argument was that he found it difficult to believe that the millions of people who follow religions other than Christianity would not go to Heaven, and that he found it too difficult to accept what he referred to as my 'fundamental Christianity'. Interestingly, this particular man had been an accredited Lay-Preacher for many years, although age had now generally got the better of that pursuit.

We discussed the issue at some length --- amicably and without rancour I might add! I have never been an outstanding theologian, nor pretended to be, but I do have an implicit belief in Scripture, and I do believe that it is the inspired Word of God. I have no trouble n accepting the words of Jesus Christ as recorded in John 14.6 when Jesus addresses Thomas: Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Me. ..." I've always noted that Jesus ensured that He spoke quite plainly and with no room for any misunderstanding. He did not suggest that He was one of the ways to the Father, but rather stated boldly that He was the only way. That's good enough for me!

So what about non-Christians going to Heaven? There are genuinely good people to be found in every faith group, so what about them. Some claim that God will punish people who reject Jesus Christ, but this is not Scriptural. God's punishment is for your own sin. We are taught in Scripture that you cannot find salvation through good works --- read the book of James! We are saved by grace alone, and we go to Heaven by the merits of Jesus Christ, not our own good works.

The Bible is quite clear in its teaching with regard to salvation. Salvation is made possible by the death of Christ on the cross. Apart from Christ and what He did, there is no salvation. (Acts 4:12, John 14:6; Luke 10:22). Non-Christians can, at least in principle, perceive God’s righteousness and their need for His mercy. (Romans 1:18-20, 2:14-16; Acts 17:28). However, although this is possible , I think that it is also rare.

I do not think that God would ever willingly turn people away, even if their knowledge of Him is shaky. I do know from the Bible that every Christian is tasked with spreading the good news of salvation through Christ, and I believe that if this command was adhered to then knowledge of His saving grace would soon be known by everyone in the world. One thing is for certain, I would rather have Jesus speak for me on the Day of Judgement than have to stand before my maker on my own merit!

To clarify then, this is not a policy of universalism, for that would go against Biblical teaching. I do not believe that God required a 'Plan B', because Jesus died for the sins of all mankind. But I do believe that He is the only way to the Father. What do you think, dear reader?

1 comment:

koinonia community said...

It often surprises me when I meet people who only believe some of what Jesus said to be truth. He said it is so. If it is not truth, he is a liar. Our pastor told us awhile back, Jesus was either mad (delusional), he was bad (a liar), or he was and is the Son of God. I just don't think that leaves room for gray areas. Of course, thankfully, one day we will all know the truth.