Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Richard Ball, a great Poet and a good friend.


This morning I wandered in my mind back along the tunnel of time to the mid-1960's, and in particular, to the great friendship I enjoyed with the poet Richard Ball who lived on the border between Wales and England. Born in Maesbury, Shropshire, when I met him first it was whilst he was employed as a desk Sergeant at the police station in Bedminster, Bristol.

I was privileged to be the first publisher to publish his work in book format, and his book about the Titanic was duly released in 1968 under the title The Last Voyage of the Titanic. It's an epic poem filled with the facts and dramas of the ill-fated ship, and helped to establish him to be recognised as a serious poet. The following year, 1969, I published In Memory of Dylan Thomas, a series of poems crafted in similar style to Thomas, and also included in the slim volume was another mini-epic poem entitled Rearguard Action at Dunkirk, a subject well-known to Richard Ball who had been one of those evacuated from the Dunkirk beaches. The photograph above shows Richard Ball with (a very youthful) me at the launch of his book The Last Voyage of the Titanic.

In this volume he included a poem as a tribute to our friendship which I reproduce below, and which I feel greatly privileged by.

VISIT OF A FRIEND

Written on a serviette, whilst having a meal with his wife,

and Colin Gordon-Farleigh at 9 p.m. on the 27th November, 1968.

And then I would see him

climb the stairs,

this friend,

who brings a quiet

to this disease of thought

and I would greet him

cheerfully,

raiding his store

of the rare words

that did not come

before his visiting.

Sometime

they will help me,

perhaps not now,

but when his

passing at the door

casts shadow in the light,

and the lone room

shouts of him once more,

and tells me 

this is the time

that he speaks on,

and I must write.

No comments: