Total Pageviews

Monday, March 10, 2008

Lessons to Learn!

One of the things that I've found in life is that, if you are discerning, nothing happens without reason. There are lessons that can be learned in every situation, no matter how stressful or how tough the situation might be at the time. Yesterday morning I was booked to preach at a chapel about 30 miles from my home and knowing that the traffic can often be a problem I set off early. A few days earlier I'd been sent a note by the pulpit secretary to say that they were looking forward to my coming, and she included a map with directions to get there safely. In my wisdom, because I knew that I had been to the chapel once before --- albeit a long time ago --- I didn't take the map with me 'cos I knew the way.

The service was due to commence at 10.30 am, and, thanks to an easy road-trip, I duly arrived about 9.50, leaving me plenty of time to sit in my car and quietly offer up prayers for every aspect of the service, and asking God to ensure that I was able to impart His message in a meaningful way.

About 10.20, with no sign of anyone arriving at the chapel, I began to have qualms about where I was. I checked with various people, but unfortunately nobody could enlighten me. Finally, at 10.25 and with just 5 minutes to go before the service was due to commence, I discovered to my horror that I was waiting outside the WRONG chapel! I should be at another chapel about 3 or 4 miles away. Talk about a STRESSFUL situation!

As it was I arrived there only one minute late, but to a chapel that was full, and many of whom were stressed to think that I wasn't going to arrive. From then on, once I'd had a chance to gather myself into a calmer state, all went well. They were a great congregation and the Lord certainly blessed my ministry with them.

So what's the lesson to be learned from this? Well, this is what I shared with the congregation about it.

Life itself is a journey, commencing with our entry into this world. Our journey will end in one of two ways; either we will reach the end of our natural life and pass away, or Jesus Christ will return before that happens and those who have chosen to commit their lives to Him will be called to the kingdom. This means that ultimately we will either live with God or without Him, which I believe is a good definition of the difference between heaven and hell.

Obviously then, this means that what happens to us between these two points of arrival and departure is extremely important. We have important decisions to be made, decisions which will determine where we end up. We have a map of how to get to our destination for the Bible contains all the directions that we need to arrive where we should safely. Of course, the problem comes about when we don't bother to follow the instructions or simply give them a cursory glance and assume that we know all the answers. Maybe, as is often the case for many, the assumption is simply that tomorrow will be okay to make my decision, there's plenty of time left!

The real answer is that we never know just how much time there is at all, and for that reason we must ensure that we are ready and equipped for our journey at all times. We need to have studied the map and ensure that we are definitely headed in the right direction. Jesus said that He was the Way. He also points out that there is no other way to get to God the Father other than by Him. To leave the decision until tomorrow is the action of a foolish person, for one day there will not be any more tomorrows. The time to check the map and make your decision is NOW, TODAY!

You see, the answer to my problem yesterday was a simple one. If only I'd checked the map of directions that were so thoughtfully provided, carefully, and not assumed that I knew the right direction, then several people, including myself, would have been saved from a lot of stress. On the other hand, if the situation had not been as it was, then I would not have been able to share it with you today dear reader!

No comments: