Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Skills of the young Entrepreneur !

Our youngest boy is almost 14 and has, for some time, shown off his skills as a budding Entrepreneur when it comes to food at school. Recently he sold one of his lunchtime ham rolls for £1. Considering it was free to him that wasn't bad! He obviously wasn't that hungry that day!

It reminded me of something that used to happen when I was 16, and employed as the junior in a men's clothing shop. Every day I used to go down the road to Furze's Cake Shop and Tea-rooms, either to buy cakes or to have lunch, and in the process I became very friendly with the staff. As a hungry, growing youngster, it's always a good idea to cultivate friendships where food is concerned! Whenever we had the two Window Dressers at the shop I would be sent down the road to buy cakes which, upon my return, would be paid for by the Window Dressers. off I would go, returning five or ten minutes later with a bag that was bulging with fancy cakes and buns, usually at least half-a-dozen. I would be given payment --- usually about 2/6d (probably about £3.00 at today's values) --- and we would all enjoy the cakes with our cups of tea. What I always failed to mention was that they were yesterday's cakes, and I had bought the bagfull for about ONE SHILLING!
Oh, Well! You have to start to make your million somewhere don't you!

No comments: