Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Did the earth move for you?

Last night, in the early hours of the morning, we had an earthquake which, although the epicentre was in Market Rasin in Yorkshire, nevertheless sent shock waves to many areas of the UK, including where I live in Runcorn, Cheshire. It measured 5.3 on the Richter scale, and there was a lot of damage to property in the areas closer to the epicentre. Here in Runcorn it shook the windows and rattled the wardrobe doors just before 1.00 am in the morning.

Through it all dear reader, yours truly simply slept, blissfully unaware of the unfolding drama of the occasion!

This was the worst earthquake in the UK for almost 25 years, the last one being in Mid-Wales and measuring about the same on the Richter scale. I was much closer to that one and the epicentre was only a few miles away. I remember my factory shaking and the steel trusses supporting the roof moving as if they were made of rubber!

My wife was woken up with the rumbling and rattling noise, but I regret to say, dear reader, that the earth did not move for me!

No comments: