Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Too Deeply Rooted?

One of the things that occupies my mind these days is the thought of where we will live after I 'retire' from my current position. If that seems a little dramatic then let me explain that I had always reckoned on retiring from this particular position when I reached the grand young age of 70. When I was ordained into ministry with this denomination the retirement age was 67 with the option to continue until 70, but now the option has been dropped and 67 is mandatory. I have offered to continue with my church until I'm 70 on a private arrangement if they wish me to. These thoughts are not too premature --- I've only got two-and-a-half years before I reach THE AGE, even though I don't feel it and (perhaps vainly) don't think that I look it either. The latter is, naturally, a matter of personal opinion!

The problem is that we have a mortgage to pay on top of all the normal living expenses --- or should that read living EXPENSIVES these days?

Then I started to think things through more logically. I dedicated my life to Jesus Christ way back in September 1967, and since then, although my path has not been strewn with roses, I've never wanted and been left in need. God has ALWAYS provided for me all that I've needed. So why should that change just because I retire from the denomination? The answer is that perhaps I will change the means of the journey but not the destination. Sometimes we can get bogged down by the day-to-day matters of our lives and forget who we've entrusted the charge of our lives to.

Then there are the assortment of things that clutter up our lives. Looking around us we blanket ourselves with a host of things that make us feel more secure for a variety of reasons, yet in reality Christ is all we need. If we make sure that our lives are right with God then the rest will follow on. After all, I believe that the reason that we stay is to honour God and be a serving witness in Christ's name. That's our overall mission, and when God deems that we've fulfilled it He will call us home.

Is it possible that sometimes we put our roots down too deep because we find the things of this world too attractive to let go of?

Now there's a thought to ponder on this Sunday!

1 comment:

koinonia community said...

I fear it happens alot. Some cling tightly to things of the world out of fear of seeing God. They are a glittery distraction, and ignorance is bliss.

I sense that you have been a faithful servent and that God will provide other means for you when the time comes for you to move from your present ministry. Of course, you can always sell your house and move to a wacky Christian community that should by that time be forming in North Carolina. =D