Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Friend, Protector, Saviour!

Friend, Protector, Saviour!
.
'I will never leave you, nor forsake you'
Hebrews 13.5
.
One of the worst things that many people have to face is the problem of loneliness. Every now and then I hear about someone who is struggling, having moved to a new area where they new nobody, and soon, unless they can resolve the situation, depression sets in and gradually takes over their lives, or at least a major portion of them.
.
It's not the time spent at work that's the problem because there they have people around them and plenty to keep them busy. No, it's the time spent in their new homes, no matter how small or how large the home might be. It's a fact that people can be just as lonely in a large and luxurious home as they can in a one-roomed bedsit. So how can you address the problem in a meaningful way. It's easy to suggest that they go out to where there are lots of people, and places such as the local pub or cinema or dance hall often get suggested with the best intentions. Yet the reality is that often for people who are suffering from loneliness places where there are lots of other people only serve to emphasise the loneliness, not offer any sort of cure for it.
..
I recall a time just over forty-four years ago when I had to face this problem myself. Struggling to come to terms with a relationship that was badly wrong I used to walk the city streets in the middle of the night as I tried to reason out everything and find solutions that, in reality, simply didn't exist for various reasons. I remember the tremendous waves of loneliness that would sweep over me as I trudged along the pavements. On one particular occasion it was raining and the street-lights created distorted images on the pavements. I was particularly low that night and decided that I should go into a church and sit quietly. Even though I had not committed my life to the Lord at that time nevertheless I was very spiritually minded and knew that I could seek answers in the silence of the church. It was almost a desire to return to the womb in many ways, a place of sanctuary where I would be safe.
.
I found a church nearby where I was walking. That was an easy matter. Unfortunately the gates were chained up and so sanctuary was denied me. I remember the thought that people had either locked God in or, as was more likely, they had locked God out. The rain seemed to confirm the sadness of the whole situation.
.
Well, needless to say, I did eventually come through that period of my life, and I learned much from it. If only I had been a committed Christian at that point. I could have held on to God's promise contained in Hebrews, I will never leave you nor forsake you.
.
I have moved both home and location many times since then, even moving countries when I went to live in Africa for many years, and yet have never had to face the problems of loneliness throughout. Each time that I moved one of the first things that I did was to seek out a Christian community where I knew that I would always receive a 'family' welcome. Joining a church meant that I would meet up with people who had similar ideas about living as I did, and if the first church that I went to didn't seem to be the right one there was always another to go to.
.
I committed my life to Christ in September 1969 and my life was changed for ever. That's not to say that it has all been perfect! Of course I've had my share of problems, of worries, of pain, just the same as everyone does, but I have never had to face life alone, for I have known that God is always there. In committing my life to Christ I found the promise of forgiveness and salvation that was mine to claim, but I found far more than that. I found out just what a friend we have in Jesus, (to take the title of a favourite hymn). He is Saviour, friend and protector. With Him my life has been fulfilled in so many ways. Without Him I would have been by far the poorer! Not only that, but I also have the promise of the hope of Eternity with Him. What more could I ask for?
.
If you know anyone who is feeling low or suffering from loneliness, dear reader, why not share the truths of Holy Scripture with them in a loving and caring way, and introduce them to the friend that offers far more than simple friendship.

No comments: