Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross


Not long before Good Friday arrives. I wonder just how many will regard it as 'just another day', which is increasingly what this secular nation wants us to do. It's all part of the move against Christianity in which the secularists, the humanists and the atheists join forces to collude against God and against Christianity in particular, all of which helps the Islamic Fundamentalists move a little closer to achieving their aim of an Islamic world.
.
This year won't you help to fly the standard of Jesus Christ high by attending a church service on Good Friday and remembering all that Jesus Christ did for mankind when he suffered such a horrible, cruel death on the cross all those years ago. Yes, it will make you feel saddened when you realise the pain that he underwent, but that sadness will be lifted when you celebrate his resurrection just a couple of days later, for the important message that Easter brings to us is that, even though cruel men put Jesus to death, He overcame death and because of that today He lives!
.
Easter is a wonderful time, not because of the Easter Bunny, nor of the mountains of Easter Eggs that have been on sale in the stores since a few days after Christmas, but because it celebrates all that Jesus Christ did and the offer of eternity spent in the presence of God to everyone who submits their life to Him. He is the only reason for Easter!
.
The words of that wonderful hymn by Isaac Watts say it all:
.
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
.
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
.
Christ gave everything for you. Dare you give anything less?

No comments: