Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

HOW Much? ... !!!

A few years ago I ran a candle factory and employed a regular staff of around eight people, mostly female. One of the ladies worked very hard and was always ready to work any overtime that was going, which in the run-up to the Christmas Shopping Season, there always was. Her husband didn't work. He was unable to work due to a back problem. I never really fathomed out exactly what the problem was. It was difficult for me to understand because I have suffered from tremendous problems with my back due to a benign spinal tumour, and this also created mobility problems for me. Now, when I was really suffering, I really was unable to do anything! Even sitting or lying down was a problem. This lady's husband, on the other hand, managed to take on jobs for people working on their cars, painting, clearing gutters, doing carpentry etc., all of which required a pretty strong back to manage the crawling about, climbing, carrying, and so on. Still, who am I to say anything?

Now the point of this blog is to go back to the hard-working wife, doing all the hours she could get in order to buy Christmas presents for her grandson, whose mum, incidentally, didn't work 'cos she had a problem sleeping. So Grandmother was the only wage-earner in the home --- well officially, at least!). Up until she talked about the presents she was getting I used to feel sorry for her, but when she told me that she would spend in the region of £650 on the 3-year old that Christmas, (and remember this was about 20 years ago), all I could do was gasp open-mouthed,

"HOW MUCH?!!!"

Her response was to tell me that she considered it quite 'normal' to spend this sort of money, and anyway, what business was it of mine?

All these years later I still see people running up huge debts in order to provide their children with the latest, the newest, the most expensive, the designer labelled, whatnots. If only they realised that they are doing their children and grandchildren NO FAVOURS at all. What sort of lessons are they dishing up? This is one area of 'Home-Schooling' that certainly falls short when it comes to the teachers, don't you think? Isn't it better to dish out oodles of love and teach the kids about the real values in life, you know, the ones that money can't even come close to buying?

What do you think, dear reader? How much do you feel is the right sort of ceiling to set when it comes to buying for the kids? Let me know.

1 comment:

koinonia community said...

We normally don't spend more than $20-$40 per child but I know that that is not at all the norm. I just don't see the point. I told this to one mother and she rolled her eyes and told me that was fine as long as they were young, but that it would change as they got older and wanted more expensive things. They want expensive things now. They just aren't getting them!!

My husband and I don't exchange gifts either. Originally, it was out of necessity. Now, it is just because we don't wish to try to fill an obligation by purchasing something for each other. I know too many couples who struggle to 'keep up with each other' in the gift department. If there is something we truly need or want, and we can afford it, we will buy it together.