Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2007

Remember, remember, the 5th of November!


Thinking about bonfire night in the UK, which is tonight, I found this wonderful picture by the Wirral artist Jim Fleming. Jim kindly gave me permission to post the image on my blog today so that I could share it with you, dear reader.

Of course, even if I didn't know it at the time, my finding the image was all part of God's plan for my life today! I telephoned Jim to ask for permission, and discovered that he had a great love for the Lord, and so what could have been just a simple relatively anonymous phone call, turned out to be the beginning of a new friendship based on a mutual love of God. I look forward to meeting him before too long, which won't be too difficult as he only lives about 45 minutes or so from me.

We discussed the way that God blesses us with gifts that we can then use to His glory. I never cease to be amazed at the way God works to bring people together. I'm sure that Jim and I will be blessed by a good friendship because the foundation is strong, but I'm equally certain that it will be to God's benefit in kingdom terms, for I believe that He has a part for each of us to play when we turn our lives over to Him. Isn't God GREAT!
Anyway, back to Bonfire Night. It will probably rain at some point because it always seems to, but that will not be able to dampen people's enthusiasm too much. Nowadays the sale of fireworks is more carefully regulated and more people go to organised displays. This means that the maximum pleasure can be obtained in comparative safety, which ticks a couple of boxes as far as I'm concerned. As for Gill and I, we shall watch the display across the River Mersey from our bedroom window, so not only do we have the safety factor, but we'll also be snug in our own home too.

No comments: