Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Poem for Today







Memories
Hidden in the forest
Where the trees grow thick and strong,
There's a cottage, small and humble,
Where I lived when I was young.

There's a yellow roof of thatch,
And a rough red chimney there,
With diamond latticed windows
Letting in the cool fresh air.

When work was finished for the day
In peace I hurried home;
Through the trees, so thick and handsome,
Where as a child I'd roam.

A smiling face would greet me;
Hot dinner on the grate:
But this day, all was lonely,
'Twas so early, yet so late.

No smoke came from the chimney,
No whispers filled the air:

But the memories still haunt me
Of my mother smiling there.

Now many years have crept along;
I sadly realise
That never shall I see again
The love-light in her eyes.

Till I walk down the cobbled path,
And lift that rusty latch;
Till memory brings back again
My home with the yellow thatch.
© 1960 : Colin Gordon-Farleigh

'West Country Anthology, edited by Colin Gordon-Farleigh,' was published by Gazebo Books, Wilts, in 1968. Although long out of print, it still gets sought after several times a year.

I well remember writing this particular poem when I was about 17 years old, when I was visiting my close friend,  the late Dickie Ball, at his home  which was at 38 priory Street, Corsham, Wiltshire. His father challenged really wrote poetry, and Memories was the result of the challenge. 

No comments: