Total Pageviews

Monday, November 8, 2010

Beautiful places to seek and find inspiration

Just a few miles from where I live is the wonderful Delamere Forest. It's such a magical place to walk amongst the trees and around the edge of the mere, and a place that I can always draw great inspiration from.

I am reminded of the second verse of that great hymn How Great Thou Art, which so often tops the 'Favourite Hymn' charts whenever folk are asked to vote for their all-time favourite hymn. 

"When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
and hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze;
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
how great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
how great Thou art, how great Thou art!"


Truly inspirational scenery like this feeds the soul of those fortunate enough to discover and appreciate it. I love the effect of mist on an early morning scene, which manages to create such a wonderful air of mystery and fire up the imagination.
Such a simple picture of a lone tree, and yet how beautiful it looks with its reflection in the almost still waters on an early morning.
One of the great beauties of Wales is the way that you can stumble on picturesque scenes of water tumbling through woodland or over rocks in a swollen stream, like the photograph below which I took at Betws-y-Coed.
 Well, I started this little journey in Delamere Forest and now it's time to set off on the homeward journey. Hope you enjoyed the visit!

No comments: