Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Joanne Lowe's Meditations

IT MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12 (King James Version)
      I have received several emails in the last six years from people who told me that my devotions made them feel uncomfortable.  One person wrote "I want to be encouraged but your devotions make me feel guilty".  One person even left my mailing list because they made him feel uncomfortable. 
      Our Scripture verse makes it clear that the Word of God does make us feel uncomfortable if our hearts are not right with God.  People only know what we say to them but Jesus knows our thoughts.  We can say kind words to people but we are thinking unkind things about them.
      We read in the Bible "And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?" (Matthew 9:4)  We can fool others but we can't fool Jesus.  He knows everything.  Also, we can't hide from Him.  No matter where we go, He is there.  How foolish of us to think we can hide from Him.
      "Whither shall I go from thy spirit?  or whither shall I flee from thy presence?  If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there" (Psalm 139:7,8).  Instead of trying to hide our thoughts and actions from Jesus, let's make sure there is nothing in our hearts to displease Him.

I used to feel guilty and my pastor said "The reason you feel guilty is because there is something in your heart that shouldn't be there".  How about you? Is your heart right before God?
 Joanne Lowe

No comments: