Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Joanne Lowe's Meditations

A WRINKLED TABLECLOTH
"But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7 (King James Version)
      I have a beautiful plant of yellow tulips that I put on my kitchen table.  My sister gave me a lovely tablecloth that has a little yellow in it and I put it under the plant.  The tablecloth is wrinkled because I keep forgetting to buy an iron.  Even though the tablecloth is wrinkled, it is still beautiful.
      As I was looking at the wrinkled tablecloth, it reminded me of when I worked in nursing homes years ago.  Some of the resident's faces had wrinkles but they were still beautiful people.  How sad that we don't realize that even though a person is older and has wrinkles that the person is still valuable.
      We look at the outward appearance but Jesus looks at the heart.  Our outward appearance doesn't impress Him because He looks at what is in our heart.  That does not mean that we shouldn't try to look our best.  What it does mean is we should be more concerned about what is in our heart than how we look.
      Heavenly Father, thank You for our precious elderly people who have wrinkles.  Please help us to treat them with dignity instead of treating them like they are useless just because they are older.  May we concentrate more on what is in our heart instead of how we look so we won't hurt You.  Amen.
Joanne Lowe

No comments: