Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Arthur Orum: 'White haired Michael played his harp ...'

When the evening sky became a violet blue
Several years ago
White haired Michael played his harp
As the tourists and the locals
Had their evening stroll
The streets became a garden
As the music flowed and flowed
And with the calm cascading notes
The harbour haven glowed and glowed
Like candles lit by stars
Like candles within clothes
The people in the restaurant bars
Slowly melted as the music rose and rose
Like candles lit by melody
As candles lit by coloured flames
Those who heard his rhapsody
Were freed from daytime's many strains
But now the dusk is dark and dreary
With the sounds of cars and drunks who share
Their football songs that make one weary
And even the noisy seagulls scare
Yet somewhere Michael plays his harp
Michael with the snow white hair
Or maybe Michael is no more
Michael,whose music made each cand
le care
(poem by Arthur Orum)available as print only
Copyright Arthur Orum


I found this on a friend's Facebook page and really liked it, which is why I'm sharing it with you today. An article about St Ives in The Sunday Times of 16th July 2006 quotes this about the artist/poet:
'If there is more than fudge and ice cream on offer in St Ives, it is not evident. Most visitors gravitate to the pretty little harbour, where Arthur Orum sits under an umbrella outside the Harbour Galleries offering charcoal portraits for £25 in black and white and £50 in colour. Orum, who sports a battered blue corduroy butcher’s-boy hat and wraparound sunglasses, hails from Wisconsin. I ask him how he came to Britain and he says he thinks it was on a Boeing 747.'


On his website, Arthur Orum says this about himself:
Arthur Orum - I am a naturalised American, born in Wisconsin, moving to New Orleans, to follow my chosen Path in Life. To Create, and enjoy the world before us. I moved to Europe many Years ago, and settled in the Artist's Colony & Fishing Port of St Ives, in West Cornwall. This stunning English Gem has remained my home of choice through marriage and work. I am living my dream on this spectacular Atlantic Peninsular, with friends and foe.


I'm glad I found this creative man because he's brightened my day. I hope he brightens yours too, dear reader.

2 comments:

Franz said...

Great Arthur/Just beautiful!

Franz said...

Great Arthur/Just beautiful!!!